Friday, March 10, 2017

The One Where Underdog Gets Away

AKA Frugal Mommy's way to Display Hair Bows

Adleigh has a lot of hair bows. I love them. She's worn all of them. I think babies look like babies... not necessarily boys or girls. And I want people to know she's my daughter not my son :) Although, just the other day a woman in the store told me how cute "he" was and wanted to know how old "he" was... even though SHE had a pink bow on HER head. Some people just aren't observant I guess!

When her bow collection was not quite so large I had a shoe box in her closet holding all her bows. One shoe box turned to two. And then it was just too hard to find the bow I wanted for the day. 

So, my very crafty and frugal mom (and I) set to create some storage space for her bows that was cheap, easy, and accessible. 

So this is what we (read: she) came up with:

We bought 2 small dowels from the hardware store for maybe $1.50 total - 1/4 inch by 48 inches. 

And we had command hooks and ribbon. Any ribbon/string will do but one that's relatively thin would work best. 

We cut each dowel in half (so 24" long each, 4 pieces). So each dowel would serve as our hanging area for the bows. 

We put two command hooks inside of her closet door about 6 feet up. 

Then we just started tying ribbon (by "we" I mean my mom :) ). We started on the left and tied a loop around the command hook then dropped it down an inch or so and then tied a knot around one side of the dowel.


Then we dropped the ribbon down about 10" and tied another knot around the next dowel. Repeated this around each of the 4 dowels.


 After the last dowel we dropped the ribbon down another 10" and tied a knot around an upside down command hook on the inside of the door.



Then we did the exact same thing on the right side making sure to get each dowel as level as possible.

Use clothespins to attach each hair bow to the dowel.


If you had none of the materials this project might cost you $5 (the command hooks being the priciest of the materials). 

So easy, so cheap, and now we are so organized!!

No comments:

Post a Comment